Monday, May 31, 2010

Rui's lost earring story...





My mother gave these earrings to me for Christmas I think, though I don’t remember exactly now because I seem to have trouble recalling events between 2003 and 2008. I was very happy to receive them especially since they are my favourite colour and I liked to pretend they were the Taria River stone (a fictional stone) earrings worn by Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. My mother said she got it at Paddington markets, which wasn’t a hugely impressive fact before a lady approached me at a an jewellery exhibition opening and asked where I had got the earrings from. The lady was Sydney jeweller Brenda Factor and it would have been nice for her to recognise her pieces out in the world as it was for me to gain a further appreciation for the gift and my mother’s taste.

I’ve lost the earring before on a plane to Japan (or was it to Australia?). I was in a bit of a panic because I was fond of them and angry at myself for losing them so quickly but I got it back thank goodness. Then one day when I happened to touch my ear it had disappeared. I guess it never liked me back the way I liked it. Or maybe the pair didn’t like each other, who knows.

A tall-Asian-beauty-also-former-Cathay-Pacific-flight-attendant-now-jeweller friend of mine shocked me one day when she recalled how her friend had thrown out a few pieces of silver jewellery because she thought silver was a consumable. Lost others and things like it (broken necklaces, your relative’s broken necklaces that you promise to fix but never do) tend to sit in the bottom of drawers and boxes because they have a strange will to survive. They influence your conscience, which is why by the time I am 80 years old (the age where I wouldn’t mind dying), I will be surrounded by many trinket friends, great substitutes for real ones and a husband no longer living. This woman with the heavy garbage bin may end up with a quiet mind but may not have so many friends.

Rui
Osaka, Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
If you would like to contribute a lost earring story please email your story and image to onelostearring@gmail.com I look forward to receiving your contributions!

Join us

Blog Archive