Monday, May 24, 2010

Jasmine - on lost earrings





Where did you get the earrings from?

I am not your typical earring wearer so I don't have any personal lost earring tales to share. I do work in a restaurant however and we are constantly coming across lost treasures and earrings, especially after busy nights. I thought that I would share some of the earrings that have found in the restaurant, telling the story from the other perspective. I work at the Vanguard Jazz and Blues live music venue in Newtown, Sydney. Our patrons are hard core music enthusiasts. I see a lot of earrings come through the venue, some just don't want to leave it's such a lovely place.

When or how did you loose the earrings?

I can't identify exactly when the earrings were lost, I do remember finding the silver one under one of the tables late one night during clean up. The owner must have been doing some serious chair dancing for this one to come loose.

Why did you keep the lost earrings?

After a long period of time, the earrings remained unclaimed. Being a jeweller, I decided to keep them and add them to my scrap metal collection. The gold one is marked 375 meaning it's 9 carat yellow gold and the silver is marked 925 making it sterling silver. I will eventually melt the two earrings down to ingots and re-work them into new jewellery, especially the gold one with todays gold prices being as inflated as they are. I have another gold earring that my sister found in the street that I have already melted down ready to work into a new piece. I like the idea that what was once precious to someone can be re worked into something that will become precious once again. If any-one recognises these as their own, I will gladly return them.

Jasmine
Newtown, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
If you would like to contribute a lost earring story please email your story and image to onelostearring@gmail.com I look forward to receiving your contributions!

Join us

Blog Archive